Friday 1 August 2008

Places I have been - The Yorkshire Dales

The Yorkshire Dales - one of the most beautiful areas of England. I holiday every year in a little village called Clapham on the western edge of the Dales and use the Inn as a base for walking. The village is nestled at the base of Ingleborough (see below). The scenery is just terrific and the wild flowers are really good too.

One of the well known features of the Dales are the "Three Peaks" - Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent. They are the highest peaks in the Dales at 736, 723 and 694 meters respectively....hardly giants but spectacular all the same. Hardy types will climb all three peaks trying to complete the set within 24 hours. The peaks are sort of clustered together but Pen-y-ghent is a wee stroll from the other two! Here are some shots I have taken over time....

Ingleborough










Pen-y-ghent












Whernside (and the Ribblehead viaduct)



















These two photographs were taken near to a village called Muker, a short walk up the valley of the river Swale. It's a lovely spot and the barns in the fields are typical of the Dales. The hay meadows are allowed to develop properly before being mowed and are therefore rich in wild flowers.































The Dales are my favourite place to go in England and I am already looking forward to my trip next year! I hope you enjoyed the views.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Lovely Adgi

The viaduct is spectacular! You're not far off the Lake District there which I'm sure you'd love too.

See you next week
love
Wren

Eve said...

I could spend all day looking at this place!!! I love the rolling hills and perfect fields! I agree with Wren about the viaduct photo!! Thanks for this one Adrian!!

John Theberge said...

Great photographs, it looks like a lovely, lush place to visit. I'm sure I'd go nuts with my camera in an area like that. We have a few orchids that are native to Maine, the most obvious one is the pink lady slipper.I featured a photo of one on my June 11, 2008 posting.

Mosura said...

SOme great landscapes there! Some (to me) are reminiscent of Scotland.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting area with plenty of scope to photograph Adrian, great scenes.

Adrian said...

Hey Wren - the viaduct is the longest "bridge" on the Settle to Carlisle railway. People come from all over the world to travel this line - probably the most beautiful stretch of railway in the UK.

Hi Eve - I could - and did - spend all day around the viaduct and the peaks. It is also very good country for potholers. I miss not being able to go when I please as I could when I lived in Leeds.

Hi John - thanks for the note on orchids. We have the Lady Slipper Orchid in England - it is very rare, at only one site in England and is protected by law. The leaf like petals are red and the slipper is yellow.

Hi Mosura - thanks for commenting. the Lowlands of Scotland are similar. Have you been to the West Coast and the Highlands?

Hi Roy - I would love to spend more time in the Dales just photographing. There are already a huge number of books available!