Friday 15 August 2008

Geraniums galore...!

The Geraniums are one of my favourite family of plants.....after orchids. The family includes the Crane's-bills and the Stork's-bills. I have managed to see and photograph nearly all the Crane's-bills but have not [knowingly] seen a Stork's-bill as yet. I think my all-time favourite Crane's-bill has to be the Meadow Crane's-bill. It is such a lovely blue colour but viewed close up one can see the paler red/white veins in the petals. When you see masses of them with the sun shinning through the petals it is just a magical sight.

When Plantlife did a survey to find out what flower people wanted as their "County Flower" the Wild Daffodil was chosen for Gloucestershire. I always though (and think) this was a mistake - it should have been the Meadow Crane's-bill as it is so widespread throughout the County and easy to see as it often occurs on roadsides. Never mind, you can't win them all I suppose. Anyway, the following are shots of the Geraniums I have captured to date.

Herb Robert


Wood Crane's-bill

Shinning Crane's-bill - so-called due to its shiny leaves.
Meadow Crane's-bill....my favourite!

Long-stalked Crane's-bill - a tiny plant, very easy to miss.

Hedgerow Crane's-bill

French Crane's-bill - introduced from the French Pyrenees.

Dusky Crane's-bill


There are several more species of Crane's-bill as well as the Stork's-bills still to collect and I live in hope of doing so in the fullness of time. Perhaps you would be kind enough to say which is your favourite!
For those of you in the UK, if you want to find out what your County flower is then click on the link at the bottom of my sidebar to enter the Plantlife website. Enter the UK web pages (button at the bottom of the Home Page); click on "Discovering wild plants and fungi" and the link for the county flowers is there. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Love the photos Adgi, specially the dusky cranesbill. Proper job! (As they say in deepest darkest Somerset) (-: love Wren

Eve said...

Hi Adgi! (can I call you that too???) Another great post! The pictures are wonderful and I think I'm going to have to agree with the Meadow Crane's-bill as being the most delightful! It is hard to choose as they are all beautiful!
(sorry Wren...yours came in second place for me!!) It was a tough call!

Adrian said...

Well Hello Eve!

You can come again....anytime!:-)

They are all beautiful actually but every year I get the same feeling about the Meadow Crane's-bill. It's the tops! Yes, you can call me Adgi - special people only of course!

Best wishes, Adgi

Adrian said...

Hello Wren

Seems like five minutes ago that I saw you!!! :-) Dusky Crane's-bill is a superb plant but I still prefer...

See you soon, Adgi xx

Mosura said...

What a great collection of Geranium photos. I only recall seeing 2 or 3 species in my time in Britain and having just checked my photos, for some reason I only have one photographed, that being Herb Robert.

Adrian said...

Hello Mosura

Thanks. A shame you only have the one shot. I think the Gernaniums are a particularly lovely family of plants...and very photogenic!

Best wishes, Adrian

John Theberge said...

Lovely photographs, I didn't realize there were so many varieties of wild geraniums.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian,

I agree with you about the Cranes Bill being the flower of Gloucestershire. The Daffodil is everywhere in East Anglia as its grown commercially with fields of yellow at the season time. Its everywhere in the field margins and roadside so perhaps it should be at least the Cambridgeshire or Lincolnshire flower. I am not from either County so I am giving and independent view.
Lovely photos you have posted all the same. Yes its a 'Proper job' big Sister. (Wot do e think yer on about anyway) {:)

Adrian said...

Hello Roy

Thanks for that - you get th poppy if I am not mistaken. Apparently Norfolk is called Poppyland according to the entry on the Plantlife Website!

Best wishes, Adrian

Anonymous said...

Adrian,

"Waterworld' may be a more appropriate name for East Anglia. Dont know who comes up with these ideas as I wouldn't think that there is an inordinate number of poppies in Norfolk. Perhaps the rolling wheat and barley fields of Wiltshire for poppies.