Tuesday 5 August 2008

Places I have been - Isle of Skye

Friends of mine recently moved from running hostels for the Youth Hostel Association in various parts of Yorkshire to running a Bed and Breakfast on the Isle of Skye. Of course, I have taken complete advantage of their generosity and stayed a couple of times now...at a vastly reduced rate!

The most important thing to know about Scotland - and the Isle of Skye is no exception - is only to go out of midge season! That is, before the end of May or after the end of September. Otherwise be prepared to get eaten to pieces! The island is so beautiful with breathtaking scenery at every turn. Not least of these are the inspiring Cuillin Hills with some of the hardest climbing in the country, although I have no pictures to share as yet. However, I have a few shots to show.....

A while ago a bridge was built between the mainland and the Isle and this is a shot of it. I have to admit that I have tinkered with it a bit but this is not far from what it was like at the time.



The B&B is in a tiny place called Dunan, just a few cottages really set along the coast. These next four shots show the views from the cottage itself. If you think you might fancy a visit then have a quick look at the website http://www.dunmara.co.uk/. My friends - Adrian and Helen - really do provide a warm welcome and the food is excellent home cooking....not that I am biased and no, they have not paid me a retainer for these comments!




The next shots are some I took at a place called Armadale, towards the south end of the island. My friend Helen works at an old castle - the seat of the MacDonald clan. I was there for a couple of lovely days trying not to spend too much money in the gift shop...which is where she works. I spent some time down at the small harbour just watching the clouds go by and soaking up the warmth. I took a few "portrait" shots as I thought the view was better or more interesting than in "landscape". See what you think.




























Next time I will really try to get some good shots of the Cuillin Hills - they are quite spectacular. There are two ranges of hills - the Black and the Red Cuillins - the variation in the colour being caused by different rocks I suppose. There are also two beers named for the Hills. I only tried the Black Cuillin - I liked it SO much I never got round to trying the Red Cuillin!!

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Lovely shots Adgi! What stunning scenery! I definitely need to look your friends up sometime. Maybe next year....before the midges though! (-: The sunset one of the brige is beautiful.
love
Wren

Adrian said...

Thanks Wren - it is a lovely place to visit. Looking forward to seeing your next post!

Eve said...

Adrian!! I thought you said you were an amateur photographer!! These pictures are very professional!! The place is lovely and looks like a wonderful destination for a world traveler!!
Thanks so much for sharing this!

Adrian said...

Hi Eve

Stop it! You're making me blush (-:

John Theberge said...

Wonderful photos, they could be in a tourist brochure.
The little beastie on the black eyed susan today is a red and green leafhopper.

Mosura said...

Great photos and they bring back some great memories too. I have an album of Skye photos here:
http://www.tasmoths.net/AlsGal/Scotland/Skye/

Jenny said...

Well done Eve! I don't think I've ever seen my little brother blush! (-;

Adrian said...

Hi John - thanks for your comments, perhaps I should look at a new career! I must get myself a good insects etc book - there are no end of thngs to look for.

Hi Mosura (Alan??) - great shots of Skye...and many other things in your gallery. What a superb idea.

Best wishes, Adrian

Arija said...

Mmmm that first shot is soooo delicious, I could eat it up!
What a lovely place to be. Wish I cold still Fly, I'd book myself in right away.

Adrian said...

Hello Arija

How lovely to see someone new commenting. It was a very nice evening I took that shot of the bridge - glad you liked it. You would find the Isle of Skye somewhat different to Southern Australia I suspect. I will be checking out your blog next!

Best wishes, Adrian

Anonymous said...

I have been poking around your blog. You live in a vey unique and beautiful place. Keep up the good work. These photos are wonderful.