Sunday 7 December 2008

Autumn woods....

Guys - sorry to have been away so long....I'll try to do better!

Trees are wonderful things. Witness the following quotes:

"You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you things that you can never learn from masters." (St Bernard - French Abbott and Saint - 1090 to 1153)

"As the poet said, "Only God can make a tree" - probably because it is so hard to figure out how to get the bark on." (Woody Allen - Actor, Director and comedian - 1935 and still going)

I prefer the first. There is really nothing like walking through a good wood or forest.

Anyway, I went walking the other day in the hills above Colesbourne where there are lots of small woods shaped by the surrounding fields (or maybe it is the fields shaped by the woods!). The idea was to get some shots of fungi but in the end I only saw a few - I think I was a bit late to be honest. So, undeterred, I took at look around and noticed all the different sorts of bark - smooth, rough and everything in between - as well as the different colours and markings. I am not sure what types they were but I think Beech, Silver Birch and some kind of fir tree were around. It was also an opportunity to check out my new tripod......so none of the following photos was taken using flash.












I did manage to get a few shots of the remaining fungi and here they are. No names I'm afraid - my knowledge of these is even less than my knowledge of trees!





6 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Adgi Yeeeeeeeha!!! Good to have you back again. These are fabulous. The cut down trunk is affected by 'spalting' which is a fungus attack after a tree has been cut down as opposed to while it is still growing. I absolutely LOVE the last fungi shot. Such a lovely composition. Brill bro! (-:

Eve said...

I'm glad you did this Tree post Adgi, it's a wonderful complement to your Leaves post! The pictures are great and that stump is impressive! I love the new header too! Nice to see you again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian,
we are glad you're back. You cover subjects the rest of tend to ignore somewhat which are always very interesting. Thanks

Adrian said...

Hey peeps

Thanks for your lovely comments. I will try to post more regularly but most of my energy is focussed on trying to get a job (interview this Thursday)!!

Best wishes, Adrian

Quiet Paths said...

Now these are some fundamental fungi! Great post and very interesting too. Good luck on the job interview, by the way.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful to see all the different kinds of bark on a tree, and I enjoyed the fungi pictures. Great post. Thanks Adrian.