Sunday 26 October 2008

Leaves....

John Muir (1838-1914), an American (Scottish-born) naturalist and conservationist, once commented:

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."

What a wonderfully and timely inspirational thought, although my mountain climbing days are over....however, it makes me want to trek up Pen Hill straight away!

I love leaves and there is no better time of year to look closely at the myriad types, shapes, and colours on show. I took a stroll the other day when the sun was shinning but on its way down to the horizon. I hope you enjoy these few shots.

Some multi-coloured leaves....



Some green leaves....




Some yellow leaves....



Some leaves with back lighting....





Some leaves with blotches....




Some leaves on their way to the great leaf pile in the sky...!





Some red leaves....







Oh, and one grey leaf....!

PS...I got the order a bit wrong towards the end there but I could not face deleting it all and starting again!!

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Adgi
Great post! Somehow I love the dead leaves best, now what does that say about me??? (-:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

What lovely leaf photos. The back lighting is often so helpful. Love of nature lies in the detail - seeing the beauty that many would simply walk past.

Adrian said...

Hi Wren

I rather liked taking those myself! Had some fun playing with aperture and shutter speed!

See you next week, Adgi

Eve said...

A Wonderful post Adgi! Thank you for that quote from John Muir, I think I need to climb a mountian right now!!

Eve said...

Oh and another great header too!!

Adrian said...

Hey Eve

Thanks - took the header shot just the other day when out for a stroll with a friend in our village.

Best wishes, Adgi

Adrian said...

Hi Yorkshire

Thanks for your kind comments. The trick is to walk slowly (quite difficult if one is not concentrating) and look behind you sometimes!!

Best wishes, Adrian

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian
You are getting too good at this lark.
Another superb post. Yes, leaves are really interesting when you look closer. Like the new header, Winter Wheat poking through.
Roy

Adrian said...

Hi Roy

Thanks! Actually I thinkit was normal wheat harvested and the stubble left in the ground! I'm sure there will be a winter crop though - croip rotation andleaving fileds fallow seems to be a think of the past!!

Best wishes, Adrian

DeniseinVA said...

I love your photos Adrian, they are beautiful. Have a great week.

Mosura said...

A wonderful celebration of the humble leaf.