Saturday 20 September 2008

Bluebell......facts and fables

The Bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) - part of the Lily family, has got to be one of our most evocative flowers. In fact, when Plantlife did the County Flower survey a few years ago - people could vote for the flower they wanted to represent their County - overall the Bluebell was actually voted as England's flower if I recall correctly. There is nothing more wonderful than a stroll through a wood carpeted with Bluebells in Spring. Indeed, it is said that the wife of Hamada, a well-known Japanese potter, used to come to England every year just for the sight.

If you do take such a stroll then take care to keep to the path - it is not the picking of the flowers that kills the plant it is the crushing of the leaves, which feed the bulbs. Bluebells are one indicator plant of ancient woodland and are protected under the law - Schedule 8 of the Wildlife and countryside Act 1981.



Bluebells often hybridise with the Hybrid Bluebell (a garden plant) or the very vigorous Spanish Bluebell but there is no mistaking the true Bluebell with its classic drooping long dark blue trumpets (as above). A hybrid is shown below and these sub-species can often have pink or white flowers.

The plant has no edible or medicinal uses - a previous Latin name for the Bluebell was Scilla non-scripta, Scilla being derived from the Greek, Skyllo, meaning to annoy, referring to the bulbs being poisonous. However, William Turner, in his herbal (published in 1568) reported that, "The boyes in Northumberland scrape the roots of the herbe and glew [glue] theyr [their] arrows and bokes [!] with that slime that they scrape off." Bluebell bulbs also provided starch for stiffening the ruffs favoured by men and women in Elizabethan times (Elizabeth I, 1558-1603).
The Victorians believed that the Bluebell blossomed on 23rd April, St George's Day, and that its flower was as blue as the ocean, over which Britain ruled.
In Scotland, they use the term Bluebell for an entirely different plant - the Harebell (Campanula Rotundifolia) - see below. In certain parts of Scotland it was called "The aul' [old] man's bell" and was, for reasons unknown to me, regarded with a sort of dread and left un-pulled.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi Adgi
What a lovely refreshing post. Brings thoughts of Spring to mind. Love the photo of the Harebell, Chris's favourite flower! We must get Mum out to see the Bluebells next May!

Mosura said...

When I clciked on this one I was wondering if you'd mention Scottish Bluebells and I happy to see you did :-)

With regard to "Auld Man's Bells" The Auld Man is the devil himself. I have a vague recollection that it was related to these flowers having a habit of growing in Graveyards but don't quote me on that.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Adrian, I do enjoy your blog and I thought this post was so interesting and your photos are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian,

Another one of your top quality posts, thanks.
I don't know about you, but I have observed that in the last few years Bluebells seem to be flowering earlier than they use to. I use to go looking in the woods about May time expecting them to be in full bloom and be able to take some photos. Now they are well on by that time and nearly over.
Roy

Eve said...

Thanks Adgi! This is terrific! I get the Harebells here in spring. I was so happy to see them this year! Thanks for bringing them back to me!!

Adrian said...

Hey everyone

Thanks for your lovely comments.

Mosura - I wondered whether that was the reference and am sure you are right! Bluebells do do the graveyard thing I think.

Denise - thank you so much for your kind comments. I hope to do some more original stuff byut have plenty of folklore and myth in store just in case. I will check your blog out too. :-)

Roy - everything seems to be coming earlier these days. I am wondering whether this global warming thing has as much to do with the Earth being closert to the sun in this cycle as muchas CO2 and all that!

Eve - hello again. Nice to have you back. Hope all is OK with you.

Best wishes to all, Adrian