Thursday 24 July 2008

Going about their business....

I was waiting for dinner to arrive (mushroom strogonof) so thought I would just pay a visit to the other side of the road to see what I could see.

Unfortunately, it was a bit windy and the little beasties did not always co-operate but I hope you enjoy these shots anyway. Some bees...
















Some hover flies...








Some little beasties I cannot name...



























Finally, a couple of snails tucked up for the night.












Plants in the shots are - Field Scabious, Hog Weed and Stinging Nettle. All very common roadside flowers.

5 comments:

Eve said...

Great post Adrian! I had a little hoverfly 'bugging' me yesterday! He was polite and didnt cause much trouble. All the shots look so soft! The snails are beauties...not the stinging nettle!!! I don't like that stuff one bit!

Jenny said...

Hi Adgi

Mushroom stroganof? MMMMMmmmmm! Will have to have that when I'm up next week! Love the Hoverfly er.....hovering. Will have to get a bug book for you!
See you next week
love
Wren

Adrian said...

Hi Eve

Hover flies are such fun - they "fly still" long enough so you can at least have a chance of getting them! I use the macro setting on my Canon 400D (and a macro lens - Canon 60mm) and I believe it lessens the depth of field - hence the soft fore and background.

Stinging nettles make great nettle tea I'm told, but I have not tried it myself. In homeopathy it can be used for some skin ailments, anaemia or nervous exhaustion...depending on how it is prepared. However, I wouldn't sit on a bunch in my birthday suit!!

Best wishes, Adrian

John Theberge said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, glad you enjoyed it, I enjoyed looking at yours also. I think the reason we have a lot of the same flowers is because many early settlers brought them here to the states to remind them of home.

Adrian said...

Hello John

Greetings from a damp (today)England. That reason never occurred to me! I was trying to think along the lines of some massive geological event or something! I will be checking out your posts again for sure.

Adrian