Friday 10 April 2009

A very peculiar plant...

Moschatel (Adoxa moschatellina)

This is a very peculiar plant - so much so that it is in a family all by itself! Indeed in the past it has defied classification but was at one time placed in with buttercups. The name Adoxa comes from the Greek "a doxa" meaning "without glory". The common name, Moschatel, refers to its scent, which is musk-like and which is stronger at dusk when the dew falls or in damp weather.

It is a very small and insignificant plant - growing between 5-12 cms - and can be easily overlooked. It likes to lurk in woodlands and hedge banks, flowering during April and May before being overtaken by the growth of other plants.

The flower head consists of 5 flowers - four facing outwards and one facing upwards. This arrangement gives the plant its other common name - "Town-hall clock". In Cheshire it is also called "Five-faced bishop" apparently after a church dignitary of days gone by who was constantly changing his mind.


There are no known edible or medicinal uses for Moschatel and strangely I have not been able to unearth any further folklore about the plant.

Still, it is a lovely little plant and well worth keeping your eyes open for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian, thanks for that. I am sure I must have seen it, but not taken a lot of notice before. I will look out for in the future.

DeniseinVA said...

A fascinating little plant, wonderful post, very informative because I know nothing of such things and love learning when I come to blogs such as yours. Thank you.

Eve said...

It's quite different and pretty Adrian! Nice to see you again. Hope Wren is good and gets that computer up and running soon! Tell her I'm thinking of her!

Jenny said...

Hi Adgi
Great post. It's nice to notice the less assuming parts of nature sometimes. I've not got my computer back at last! See you soon
Jen
x

Unknown said...

Hi Adrian, I really enjoy reading informative posts like this one. I appreciate the time that you put into finding the fascinating and interesting aspects of even the "common". I try and do the same when I showcase a plant, insect, or animal. There is usually something really interesting and unique about everything. All of life has a place. I appreciate, too, the fact that you looked for the medicinal and/or folk uses of the plant.

Adrian said...

Hey all

Many thanks for all the lovely comments. Watch out for the next post on another beautiful spring flower.